7th grade geography teacher, led the band and played the flute
[ Courtesy: Steve Glazer - 09-23-2015 ]
John Douglas Melton was born in Monroe County, Indiana, on August 13, 1904, the son of Oscar D. and Lizzie Douglass Melton. He received a bachelor of music degree from Valparaiso University, and a master of music from Northwestern University. Mr. Melton was a teacher and band director at Morton School while Shep and his buddies were there. He resided at an apartment at 2 Ruth Street in Hammond, and later at 636 Locust after marrying Lenore Wilson on June 20, 1937. He was a charter member of the American School Band Directors Association. Mr. Melton retired from Morton in 1969. A few years later, he and Lenore retired to Hot Springs, Arkansas, where he passed away on June 22, 1987. Mr. Melton was interred at Elmwood Cemetery in Hammond.
[ Courtesy: Ken O'Neill - 09-23-2015 ]
"Mr. Melton was teacher and band director at Morton from 1929 until about 1970. He was at the school on Marshall Avenue before the building we all knew was constructed in 1936-37; and he moved on to the current building at 169th and Grand. Before the three story addition was built onto the Marshall Avenue building in 1953, the band room was on the first floor where the shop was located after Mr. Melton moved to the third floor."